Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Senor, ten piedad!

This coming Saturday I'll have the privilege of serving as the Reader for the first Spanish divine liturgy of the first Spanish Mission in Arizona at St.'s Peter and Paul OCA in Phoenix. I learned elementary Spanish in 5-7th grades in Taiwan.... yes, that's not a typo. Taiwan. I went to a Catholic school served by Dominican nuns from the Phillipines. So we learned Spanish from them. Of course that was 43 years ago...but I took Spanish 1 at our local community college a few years ago because I had a lot of Hispanic employees. I know mostly basic stuff and construction vocabulary. And I can read better than I can speak. Fr. Isadore was thrilled that I can read Spanish because it was going to be just him and his wife doing the service. I hope I don't embarrass him. My Hispanic employees say my accent isn't bad for a Chinese Gringo speaking "Mexican".

It occurred to me...I guess I'm Reader Cheech AND Chong. Two natures in one person....

4 comments:

Mimi said...

It occurred to me...I guess I'm Reader Cheech AND Chong. Two natures in one person....

Bwahahahahahahahhaha!

Best of luck to you, S-P!

Anonymous said...

Bwaahahahhahahahahahhaha! Cheech and Chong! Bwahahahahaha!

May God bless your first service as a Reader s-p. Glory to God!

Anonymous said...

so s-p you can develop a stand-up act doing C&C covers with an Orthodox spin, you'll have the whole market to yourself for that gig.

in your copious spare time, of course.... 8^)*

blessings,
David N.

existentialist said...

Hey S-P,
I was at Father Isidore's ordination! He came from our parish! Wow. Interesting.
I also was sent the email of an Orthodox priest in Taiwan. Your post inspires me to write to him. Thanks.
In Christ
Olympiada