Friday, January 22, 2010

First Time for Everything

I never get sick.  Almost never.  I think I had perfect attendance through high school except for one day when I got 4 teeth pulled for my braces.  So I go to the doctor once a decade whether I need to or not, just to see if I'm still alive.  In the interim, I read the obituaries in the morning paper to see if I'm in them, if I'm not I go to work.

Well, since I've turned 50 I've been to the doctor more times than the rest of my life, partly because I have a wife who wants me around for some reason and insists I get things checked like my blood pressure (it's high), that 6 month old spreading growth on my foot (it wasn't cancer), my "30 years of fast food for lunch cholesterol rating" (it's a tad high, but not worthy of the title "Whopper"), and other various *ahem checks* that I can't illustrate and keep this PG-13.

Yesterday I woke up feeling crappy but went and did an emergency roof repair anyway. By the end of the day my throat was killing me and I was having trouble swallowing.  I came home and called the doctor and got a late appointment.  Viral something.  "Contagious for four days, you'll feel like crap for a week to ten days."  No anti-biotics, just OTC stuff and go to bed. The Wifey came home and said, "You went to the doctor on your own?? You MUST be sick!"    

So here I am....well, there I go.  Off to fill my prescription. 




17 comments:

Larry said...

Hope you feel better soon! I'll light a candle for you at church...

Ashley Siferd said...

Pobrecito Steve! Feel better. Maybe you can get Moo to wait on you hand and foot.

あじ said...

It looks like you've lost a couple fingers ;) (I'm just envious of anyone whose drawing skills are better than mine.)

Seriously though, get well.

mamajuliana said...

Keeping you in prayer and hoping that you feel like your (old)? self soon!

What an artist!!!

Unknown said...

I hope you feel better soon. And can I say that you and I could not be more different with regard to doctors and our health. I have a tendency to run to the doctor at the earliest twinge of pain. Partly it is psychological and partly it is a result of having had to deal with multiple health issues in my 39 years here on earth. Take care, Steve.

elizabeth said...

sorry to hear! no fun feeling sick. my small prayers.

Kassianni said...

at least you made it to 50! I'm not quite 40 and have had too many trips lately. blech. get better soon!

wv: deseedy

James the Thickheaded said...

Sounds like the flu. Been there, done that. Complete wipe out. Yep. Called the doctor, too and took Tamiflu. Good stuff!

Hope you'll feel better soon. In the meantime, follow the directions on the pillow tag... and don't remove (your head from the pillow).

Remember when those tags used to say: Under Penalty of Law Do Not Remove... and your sibling threatened to call the cops when you "accidentally" ripped one?
Sweethearts, aren't they?

Get well soon!

ryan said...

For the next 7-10 days, I hope you draw a ton of cartoons. Is that selfish of me?

Get well. Grace

Steve Robinson said...

I think my parents still don't remove the tags. Even when I was a kid I wondered if there was "pillow tag police" who'd come to your house and arrest you or something.

I was thinking yesterday "Cool...all day to diddle around on the computer" but an hour is about all I can do. Bedtime for Bonzo again. Its weird what such a tiny critter can do to you, isn't it.

Babushka Joanna said...

feel better, Steve!

I also used to fear the "pillow tag cops"...finally when I was in high school I ripped them off and felt very dangerous. LOL

Unknown said...

You are in my prayers. Get well soon!

Anonymous said...

Dear Steve,

Re: your comment about what a small creature can do to you, I send you this Ogden Nash.

A mighty creature is the germ,
Though smaller than a pachaderm.
His customary dwelling place
Is deep within the human race.
His childish pride he sometimes pleases
By giving people strange diseases.
Do you, my poppet, feel infirm?
You probably contain a germ!

(Feel better!)

Kind regards,
Patty Joanna

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Get well soon !
I will be praying for a speedy recovery.

Steve Robinson said...

PJ, I love Ogden Nash! I fished around and found a cool website that gives some perspective on germs... thanks!

Anonymous said...

The bug won't get you. The boredom may, though. Man, I hate feeling like you do now.

Hopes and prayers for a quick spring back into your step. Thanks for this blog. Love it.

Anonymous said...

I don't know why, but I can memorize Ogden Nash poetry upon first reading, but I can study the scriptures and recite prayers endlessly, and they bounce off my brain.

Sigh.

Patty Joanna