Thursday, October 04, 2012

Pork Tenderloin and Sweet Potatoes


I've always been into "one pan meals", short prep time, and tasty (OK, two pans if the dish requires mashed potatoes, rice or a side veggie). If I can do the veggie and meat in one dish, so much the better.

I found small pork tenderloins on sale, perfect size for dinner for two and maybe one "leftover" lunch or snack... (now that we're empty nest, I have to learn to cook smaller). I usually do a barbeque kind of thing with pork so I wanted to try something different.

So, here is the concoction:

Split the pork tenderloin down the middle (not all the way through), lay it open. Fill it with scallions, olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and sage and then lay a couple sprigs of fresh rosemary down the center. (We have rosemary growing in our front yard).

Peel and slice a couple of small sweet potatoes and arrange it along the tenderloin in a baking dish.

Drizzle the entire arrangement with balsamic vinegar. Then sprinkle some brown sugar on the sweet potatoes. Then drizzle some maple syrup over everything (including the pork).

Cover with foil and bake for about an hour at 325. (Check the meat, depending on the size it may cook quick). The potatoes will come out firm but cooked. I didn't want mushy "baked sweet potatoes" so if you want the potatoes softer I'd say you might have to boil them for a few minutes before putting them in the baking pan.

The other option (that I prefer, but it takes another pan that you'll have to wash)...
Remove the roast and set it aside to let it rest before you cut it up. Pour off the liquid into a frying pan and reduce the liquid (boil it over high heat, stirring regularly, until it becomes like syrup). While you are reducing the liquid, re-cover and return the potatoes to the oven to bake a little longer.

Drizzle the reduction over the roast and potatoes. Reduced meat liquids are like nectar.

I paired it up with a $2.99 Walmart Argentinian Malbec called "Lucky Duck". Not bad.

Two tongues up. Tasty!


7 comments:

Emily H. said...

I was reading your post and my daughter, almost 10, said, 'is this a monk's page?' When I told her no she said, 'that's too bad. I think he would be good at it.' I thought it funnily ironic that I was reading this post in particular! :)

Dinner sounds good. I made something very similar last night, the only exception being roast butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes.

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

MMMM! I hope you keep the recipes coming!

Steve Robinson said...

Emily, I'm thinking about trying it with brussel sprouts too. That is funny about your daughter's comment. Hmmmmm, she should ask my wife if I'd make a good monk. LOL!

ofgrace said...

Brussel sprouts get very sweet when roasted. This all sounds so delicious!

retzev said...

Toss those Brussels sprouts in olive oil and sprinkle
with plenty of salt, roast them til they're nicely caramelized, dish and serve
drizzeld in garlic butter. Repeat once per week perpetually.

Steve Robinson said...

retzev, Oh yeah! You are not far from the kingdom! :)

Chocolatesa said...

"retzev, Oh yeah! You are not far from the kingdom! :)" Hahaha!

I've added this to my list of things to cook :D Thanks!